Saturday, September 20, 2008

Painting with yarn, part 2

A couple of days ago, I finished a little yarn painting that I have been making whenever I have had the chance. It's called "Hummingbird dreams". I listed it also in my shop. Here is a picture of the finished painting:


And here one work-in-progress pic:



As you might notice, there are a little difference between the work in progress and the final painting. That's exactly what I like about the technique. At every moment while I'm working I can chance my mind and just rip some detail off if I want to. That is very practical, as I usually don't make any sketches beforehand (except for "the Meeting" yarn painting , as it was a custom order), or if I do, they are very very general. I never know exactly how a certain painting will turn out, and that always makes things more interesting. I just love to experiment how to make three-dimensional impression with pressing the yarn on the beeswax in different ways.





The technique requieres a lot of patience, as making just a one little detail can take hours. But I like that slowliness too. It makes you concetrate on the moment of creation, which is relaxing.

I have also been knitting. This time I decided to start the Christmas gift early. I'm knitting a hoodie for boyfriend again, and as he is quite tall, I know it will take a while to make (especially with 3 mm needles). I'm not hurrying too much with this, anyway - if it's ready before Christmas, I know he'll want to use it right away.

No comments: